Polystyrene is a clear, colourless, hard and rigid thermoplastic. Polystyrene softens at 100ºC and has a density of 1.05 g/cubic centimetre. The benefits of polystyrene plastic include hardness and rigidity, low shape shrinkage, low water absorption, good insulating characteristics and a relatively low price. However, it is brittle and sensitive to UV light, has poor chemical durability and has a somewhat low softening temperature. PS also has a low resistance to oils and solvents.
- Hard and rigid material
- Unlimited dyeing potential
- Available in various levels of quality
- Low water absorption
- Good electrical insulation characteristics
- Low formwork drying shrinkage
- Low price
- Low softening temperature
- Tendency to form micro-stress fissures
- Low resistance to oils and solvents
- Yellows and becomes brittle outdoors (UV radiation)
Packaging, disposables (cups, spoons, etc.), household items, cellular plastic, etc.